As summer ends, so begins the shift to colder temperatures. This year’s winter forecast is expected to be quite frigid, so a reliable furnace is essential to every home. However, like all mechanical systems, furnaces have a finite lifespan and may require repairs or replacement at some point. Deciding whether to repair or replace your furnace can be a significant financial and practical decision. Whether you’re looking for furnace repair in Calgary to extend your system’s life or contemplating furnace replacement in Calgary to enjoy improved efficiency and comfort, this guide will help you make an informed decision.
Common Signs of Furnace Problems
Recognizing the early signs of furnace trouble is crucial to addressing issues promptly. Some common indicators include:
- Insufficient Heating: If your furnace struggles to keep your home warm, even when set to a comfortable temperature, it may be time for attention.
- Increased Energy Bills: A sudden spike in your energy bills without a corresponding increase in usage could signal an inefficient furnace.
- Strange Noises: Unusual noises like banging, rattling, or squealing can indicate mechanical issues within the furnace.
- Frequent Cycling: If your furnace turns on and off frequently, it may be due to a faulty thermostat or other internal problems.
- Inconsistent Heating: Variations in temperature throughout your home can suggest ductwork issues or an aging furnace.
When Furnace Repair in Calgary is the Right Choice
In many cases, furnace issues can be resolved through repairs. Here are some scenarios where repair is a viable option:
- Minor Issues: Repairs can be cost-effective if the problem is relatively minor, such as a faulty thermostat or worn-out belt.
- Furnace Age: If your furnace is still relatively young (under 10 years old) and well-maintained, repairs can extend its lifespan.
- Efficiency Improvement: Upgrading specific components, like the blower motor or ignitor, can enhance your furnace’s efficiency and performance.
When Furnace Replacement in Calgary Is Necessary
There are instances where furnace replacement is the more practical choice:
- Advanced Age: If your furnace is over 15-20 years old, it may be less energy-efficient and more prone to breakdowns. Replacing it with a newer, high-efficiency model can save you money on energy bills and repairs.
- Frequent Repairs: If you schedule repairs regularly, the cumulative cost may make furnace replacement a better investment in the long run.
- Safety Concerns: If your furnace poses safety risks like carbon monoxide leaks, it must be replaced immediately to protect your family.
- Improved Efficiency: Upgrading to a modern, energy-efficient furnace can significantly reduce heating costs and environmental impact.
Start By Weighing the Costs
When deciding between furnace repair and replacement, weighing the costs over the long term is essential. Consider the following:
- Repair Costs: Calculate the total cost of repairs, including parts, labour, and any future repairs that may be necessary.
- Operating Costs: Compare the energy efficiency of your current furnace with the potential savings of a new, more efficient model.
- Financial Incentives: Research available rebates or incentives for upgrading to an energy-efficient furnace.
Consult a Professional
Consult a professional for furnace repair or replacement in Calgary for expert advice tailored to your situation. They can assess your furnace, provide guidance on repair or replacement, and offer cost estimates to help you make an informed decision.
Seek Furnace Repair or Replacement in Calgary Before Winter Hits
Maintaining a functional and efficient furnace is essential for comfort and safety during the harsh winters ahead. Whether you opt for furnace repair in Calgary or furnace replacement in Calgary, the key is promptly acting when issues arise. Regular maintenance can help prolong your furnace’s life and prevent problems, but eventually, the decision may come down to repair or replacement. By considering factors like the age of your furnace, the extent of repairs needed, and long-term costs, you can choose to ensure a warm and comfortable home for years to come.
Since 1988, Horizon Heating Ltd. has been providing affordable indoor air quality services and AC installation to Calgary and surrounding area. With care and precision, we ensure that our products and services are reasonably priced and widely available. Our AC & Calgary furnace repair service is conducted by professional maintenance technicians, all qualified to provide AC installation, air conditioning repair, and furnace duct cleaning; this includes all models of duct, furnace, and air conditioning. By partnering with contractors and home builders, we expertly install new home HVAC systems, and work together with clients to create custom renovation solutions for all residential projects. Call us today at 403-274-0790.